Come on a multifaceted journey through time as we explore historic Green-Wood Cemetery, followed by a curated cocktail experience at Fort Hamilton Distillery. While you sip on cocktails, we will reveal the connections between these libations and a selection of sites encountered within the cemetery. This spirited stroll bridges the drinking culture of 1800s New York City with its politics, innovations, and societal transformations.
- Historical Resting Places: As we wander through past the cemetery's mausoleums and intricate tombstones, we'll uncover the stories of the famous (and infamous!) individuals interred here. Among other grave sites we will visit:
- Boss Tweed: New York's most notorious corrupt politician and former Tammany Hall leader.
- Niblo Mausoleum: The final resting place of William Niblo, a prominent 19th-century theater owner who even hosted parties in the cemetery during his lifetime.
- Do-Hum-Me: Known as the "Indian Princess" from PT Barnum's American Museum.
- Red Lion Inn: The site of the reported first shots of the Battle of Brooklyn.
- Bill the Butcher: The notorious gang leader of the Bowery Boys.
- Gravesites associated with the tragic sinkings of the Titanic and Lusitania.
- And many others.
Cocktails and Distillery:
Each ticket includes a delightful pairing of two exceptional cocktails crafted at Fort Hamilton Distillery, to be enjoyed after the walk:
- Hoffman House Fizz: An invigorating gin-based delight.
- Classic Manhattan: Featuring the rich flavors of rye whiskey.
While you sip on your cocktails, your guide will delve into how the ingredients and the cocktails themselves connect to the individuals buried in Green-Wood. You'll also gain insights into Fort Hamilton Distillery's mission to revive historically significant spirits.
- Duration: Approximately 2.5 hours, encompassing both the walking tour and cocktail experience.
- Meeting Point: Conveniently located at the Sunset Park Entrance, at Fourth Avenue and 35th Street.
- Age Restriction: Participants must be 21 years or older to indulge in cocktails; mocktail alternatives are available for those abstaining from alcoholic beverages.
- What to Bring: Ensure your comfort with suitable footwear for walking and dress appropriately for the weather conditions.
Join us for an immersive journey through history, where stories come to life, and cocktails tell tales at Green-Wood Cemetery and Fort Hamilton Distillery.